ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skin color
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Praiz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Skin color Reply with quote

Hi,

Will someone please tell me if there are any schools or private language institutes in Japan and Korea that will take native born speakers who do not have a pink or white complexion? And if they do exist may I have their details?

All help will be appreciated.

Praiz
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: colour Reply with quote

That's an interesting question. I notice the way you have spelt colour therefore, are you an American? I am white, sometimes red but never pink. I have not worked in either of the countries you mention but I have worked in the Middle East and I have never seen a non-white English teaching native speaker. I think a lot depends upon where you come from. If you are an American, are you welcome in either of these countries. I really think that is what you should consider first. These countries want our knowledge but they don't want to treat us with respect. I sometimes think, they think of us as their slaves and if they are paying us, then they can do with us what they want.

You probably just want a job teaching English. Well, I don't think it is as simple as that. It is very political out there and you won't be able to change anybody's view on that. Therefore, you have to get over that barrier first.

If I were you, I would go somewhere nice and be appreciated.
shiobhan1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Skin color Reply with quote

Praiz wrote:
Hi,

Will someone please tell me if there are any schools or private language institutes in Japan and Korea that will take native born speakers who do not have a pink or white complexion? And if they do exist may I have their details?

All help will be appreciated.

Praiz

Very Happy I think the best thing to do would be applying to schools in China. I live in a very conservative midwestern city, yet I do know of African Americans who did go to China and teach english. I also think that letting people you know, know that you are interested in teaching in Asia helps. I would keep up on current events in the country I was interested in, and even do an internet search on say, African Americans in Asia-that type of thing.
Sad Stuff like this is annoying to say the least, but it is up to people like us to find one another, encourage each other, and especially if you can connect with other people of African descent currently teaching in those countries, it may help to make the adjustment easier. I was able to ask someone who has his own website related to Taiwan to help. He did to the best of his ability. I also find that people of European descent who are currently teaching in Asia, or already have done so, are real willing to be honest and forthright about this issue. So hang in there. Keep looking for all of the support you can get, and continue to connect with people through sites like this one. I would not be afraid to approach people in my community who are Asian and let them know I am interested working in Asia. I think you will find tons of support. Even if you can find penpals or just chat with people in that part of the world. Smile
Speaking of which, I should take the advice I've given you a step further myself - Laughing good luck!
acegal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: The Issue of colour Reply with quote

TO ANYONE READING THIS:

I was offered a Government scholarship to Japan, and in the 9 months that I have been here, I haven't been able to get a Job Teaching English. I am a University Graduate from the ENGLISH SPEAKING CARIBBEAN. I have 7 years teaching experience, as well as a TESOL diploma, yet I cannot find work. I applied to the popular companies here in Tokyo, and for all my applications, for 9 interviews, I was told I'm "not a native speaker" (probably because of my Caribbean accent), that they were filled up, that you needed 6 months teaching experience IN THE COUNTRY ITSELF before they can employ you, that they are not hiring from within Japan etc.

It is not to say I'm an illegal citizen. I am here at the invitation of the Japanese Government to study. I have my alien registration, correct Visa, and all requirements, including degree, teachers diploma, language skills and 7 years experience. YET, I've found Germans, Russians, Brazilians, Bulgarians even French people getting a job easily in the EFL world, many of whom do not have English Speaker NATIVE ability, as many job requirements stress the need for a NATIVE SPEAKER. I guess they have that "special" qualification that I do not have. Confused Could it be that being of a specific colour in Japan in related to your ability to work here? Sad Many people from Indonesia, who also have good English speaking comepetence and who are qualified, are also finding it difficult to find a job here in Tokyo.

So I would warn anyone reading this. PLEASE talk to people before you come here about the FACTS of this country. FIND OUT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!!! RESEARCH CAREFULLY!!! Do as much research about people's experiences, about the JET, and Living Expenses and everything else. Also, about the University courses and Masters courses, they aren't worthwhile, and they aren't even Credit worthy.

TO ANYONE READING THIS!!! UNLESS YOU ARE TRULY INTERESTED IN STUDYING JAPANESE, OR STUDYING ASIAN LIFE, PLEASE BE CAREFUL BEFORE MAKING THE CHOICE TO COME HERE!!!

Yours truly, acegal... living in painful chaos and speaking from experience.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: coloured skins and native speakers Reply with quote

Hello Acegal

I am sorry to hear of your problems but I am afraid it is the same throughout the world. It is not your Caribbean accent that's causing you problems but it is the colour of your skin. In the UK, we call people who don't have a white skin, coloured. However, that term is now politically incorrect and we must say, African, Asian or whatever. Nevertheless, we don't mean any harm or animosity when we use the term coloured and there are now laws to protect people, who have coloured skin. You will always get this problem where people of different races, with coloured skins, get together. I don't know the reason for this but I know this from experience.
There are in Japan a number of ESL schools run by Westerners (white people) and I think it would be worthwhile trying them.
If you want to continue teaching ESL abroad, then I would suggest you try a European country, where I think the colour of your skin will be less of a problem. Both Poland and Croatia are looking for ESL teachers.

UJ
jademonk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praiz,

I'm a woman of African heritage working as an ESL teacher in Korea. I tutored Korean students in Canada for about nine months before coming. It proved very worthwhile in terms of opening the doors to me. My students also pointed me in the right directions. I've been here in Korea since May 2005 and I've met some of the warmest, kindest and friendliest people here. Racism does of course exist here as it did in Canada...
I have found many people here who recognize me for my abilities, not just for the colour of my skin. I also get a lot of compliments from my students and even strangers on the street.
I encourage you to tutor or do something that will prompt the opening of doors to you.
mikara.travel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Korea vs. Japan vs. China Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm just in the field and looking to possibly find work in Asia, but I'm not sure yet. Race is a big issue for me since I'm of Japanese American heritage. A lot of people can't tell where I'm from when looking at me, but abroad my look could be a problem and as a young woman I don't want double trouble with sexism.

Could you rate how I'd do in

Korea

Japan

China

Those seem to be the hottest markets out there

Thanks

Mikara Dougaras

"all's well that end's well"
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, racism and discrimination based on skin colour is reality all over the world, even here in Canada. However focus on the kids - your students are always your best allies and most of them most always appreciate hard work, discipline and effort. They most always know who is who. Also, in Korea, focus on and try to find the 'jung'. You'll know what I mean when you get there and adjust. The people there are real and warm - a stark contrast to many if not most of those found all over North America.

I wish I could say overall that Korea is a better life, but here here now, life anywhere is essentially what you make it...but nevertheless it can often be much easier to be much happier and content in Korea, depending again what part of the country you're in of course. Good luck, all the best. I love the South African woman from Canada's quote. There you go. Mandela had a very active, dynamic life and he spent 27 and half years of it in prison!
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acegal, and others reading this post,
When it comes to finding English teaching jobs, forget about Japan. Look at their history. Behind the United States, Japan is the most racist, imperialistic country on the face of the earth. Don't let their economic prosperity fool you. That actually should be your first clue!! They are as much about image as any modern country around today, especially in Tokyo. When it comes to fair treatment - disregarding colour of someone's skin - which shouldn't have a thing to do with language competency or grammar - just simply forget about Japan. Koreans are much warmer - there are more jobs there too.
Scooby *Scott* Doo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how are the Chinese when it comes to skin color as that's the hottest market now by far?
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Chinese care if one is blue and from Mars they're so hungry to learn English.... 2008 is coming up fast! However, I had a recruiter tell me not so long ago that if I were to come to China not to be surprised when some local approach me and try to see if the black rubs off my skin!
teacherbea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: colored, coloured in China Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm African Canadian, working in Henan, China.
I love it here!!!
My students are wonderful.
If you see yourself as colored, coloured, yellow, green...
people will see you colores, coloured, yellow, green...
hey... I get a lot of attention: people do take pictures of me, they' ve never seen a black person before, serious. So what?
My Deans, directors are great: they saw my picture before I got hired.
I love it ! and love them! I see myself as a person.
PEOPLE WILL TREAT YOU THE SAME WAY THEY SEE YOU TREATING YOURSELF!
Good luck
Bea
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Though some have preference.
Wocca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLICK TO READ THE GENOGRAPHIC PROJECT
HenanMike

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Discrimination in China... Reply with quote

TeacherBea hit the nail on the head!

She is, or was, working happily in China because she is a native CANADIAN; the colour of her skin is immaterial. There is no doubt that the Chinese often discriminate against West Africans (Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana) not because of the colour of their skin but because they do not speak Br. E or Am. E. as their first language. The same is true of Filipinos.Many of these countries nominate English or English/French as their national language when, in fact, children are brought up speaking a tribal or local dialect and only speak English in school.

It is unfair to accuse the Chinese of racism as a real native speaker (black, white or in between) from Canada, the U.S. or Britain has no problem finding a job here.

The better schools are more likely to reject a white person with a thick Australian accent than a black person from North America.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: