ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone familiar with IDLTM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splendid Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Anyone familiar with IDLTM? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience (either first- or second-hand) with the International Diploma in Language Teaching Management (IDLTM) from Cambridge. It seems very interesting but apparently the course is being taught at only three locations world-wide: Barcelona, Brisbane and some place in Vermont, US.

I am looking for opinions from people who have either taken the course themselves or have heard of other people's experiences. Apart from the overall quality of the course I am wondering if this Diploma widely recognized and does significantly improve career opportunities in ESL/EFL? The fact that it comes from Cambridge sounds good but I fear that the IDLTM's apparent obscurity compared to qualifications like DELTA lead employers to dismiss it.
Splendid Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url=https://www.teachers.cambridgeesol.org/ts/teachingqualifications/IDLTM]
http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/

Here is some info about the course[/url]. Sorry about the double-post. I would have included the url in my earlier message but I wasn't allowed to as it was my first post on this forum. Smile
adhockley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: IDLTM Reply with quote

Hi

(I'm starting by declaring my interest - I train on the IDLTM)

The feedback from participants on the course is overwhelmingly positive, and people describe it as extremely useful in their role as a manager (of whatever level - we have had school owners/directors, Directors of studies, ADOSs, senior teachers, coordinators etc etc - and in pretty much all type of language teaching organisation, universities to private language schools). Obviously it's in my interest to promote the course but I genuinely believe in it and think that it really helps to give people a lot of the skills they need in management (and it's tailored to our field, which really helps - I've had some participants who actually have an MBA who say they found this course much more useful and applicable)

As regards the value of the certificate itself, it's obviously not quite as well known as we would all like. In Australia it's very well known as NEAS (the accreditation body) requires that the DOS of a school has either the DELTA or the IDLTM. Beyond Australia (and NZ and parts of East Asia) it's less widely known. I think you might find that many employers have - sadly - never heard of it, although even the most cursory research on their part ought to be enough to convince them that it is a valid qualification - the certificate actually has three institutions badges on it - Cambridge ESOL, the University of Queensland, and World Learning Graduate Institute (from the US). So it ought to be accepted pretty much everywhere.

Since it began 10 years ago there have been about 40 courses worldwide - in the US, Australia and Barcelona as you mention, but also in Brazil, Vietnam, and Turkey. One is starting next month in Oman. (The course involves 2 weeks of face to face work and 6 months of online, so those locations are just related to the F-2-F)

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask

Andy Hockley
jason costa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Excellent and Very Practical Reply with quote

I have just completed the IDLTM and would suggest anyone either in or pursuing a management role in a language teaching organization check it out. The assignments are real world and practical and the trainers are knowledgeable, helpful and professional.
ArthurAbdrakhmanov

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: My own experience Reply with quote

Hi
I have just completed this course and I can say that it was extremely benificial for me as the school owner. The assignments are meaningful and require lots of efforts and investigation as well as literature review. Recommended literature is professional and provides you with the latest trends not only in ELT management but in management on the whole (as I realized most of the principles of ELT management derive from general management) I would recommend the course to everyone who seriously builds his/her career in ELT management. The course is recognized in ELT circles round the world, and will be extremely helpful during actual work as an ELT manager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: