ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware Always Idiomas Madrid!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilcaddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Beware Always Idiomas Madrid! Reply with quote

Sorry to say some scammers have used this school's address to solicit ESL teachers, promising E2500 per month AND living quarters. I was taken in because I tried to be gracious. Not even sure if school is on the level as it shares address where I had to send CV to. Police now investigating. It sounded too good to be true and apparently it is.
mina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got accepted to teach there and they sent me the contract to sign.
It did look too good to be true. So it is def. a scam then?
It's a shame cause I wasted my time answering their interview questions which took me ages lol. They also did an interview on skype though. Did they interview you as well?

Thanks
M.
lilcaddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mina, I am afraid so. As I printed out their emails to take to police yesterday, I saw for the first time that they were coming from alwaysidiomas@gmail, not alwaysidiomas@post.com, which is the school''s official address. The school is now looking into it as well. These unscrupulous greedy bastards also sought money transfers when it would be quite easy for anyone in Europe to make their own arrangements to get to Madrid. I am disappointed too. It would be difficult if not impossible to bring a breach of contract against the school, since, as far as I know at this time, they were not in on it. Tear up the contract and move on. Caddy
mina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is such a shame!! Thank you Caddy.
Best of luck!
RodStephens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My would-be co-workers!

I fell for this too. Damn. It really would have been an awesome job.
Second ESL scam I've seen in 2 short weeks. These guys were very professional I didn't suspect a thing until this morning.

What a waste.
mina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol they are very good at this. I almost fell for another scam similar to this. It is crazy! you get your hopes up and suddenly realize it is a scam.

Rolling Eyes
RodStephens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Yeah I know what you mean. I almost signed a contract for a Scam in the UAE. They seem to be very very common. The UAE one was obvious really... But this was annoyingly professional.
I saw the guys face during the skype interview. Which.... thinking back.... did look dodgy.
Felt a little like one of "those guys" on chat roulette
mina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha yes I also remember his face a bit. But then something went wrong and we couldn't chat (am glad) so he sent me all these questions to answer. I can't believe I actually took my time to answer all those questions. They were very professional questions as well. I came across with few scams before but they were more obvious than this one! and the other one I almost fell for.
It is best to do a research on these job ads. every time.

good luck with it all Smile
RodStephens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ^^ he did the same to me.

They were very professional.
I gave some really well thought out answers too.

Same to you. Best of luck.
kitzilla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lilcaddy, I got the same offer and the email is from alwaysidiomas [at] post . com and not [at]gmail.

The guy who wrote to me signed off as:
Mr Guillelmus José Placidus
C/ Andres Mellado 24,
28015 Madrid - España.
e-mail: alwaysidiomas [at] post . com
Tell: +34-603359367/911 829 735

Was it the same person who wrote to you?

But it seems like we all went through the same thing -- a short video interview fraught with technical difficulties followed by an annoyingly long list of questions to answer..
mina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeppp that's it! that's the one! he did the same to me, saying something wrong with the internet etc.. and sent me questions to answer.
lilcaddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitzilla, yes, the email shows us as AlwaysIdomas@post.com, but yesterday when we were printing them out for the police, it showed up as alwaysidiomas@gmail.com. The guy's name was Jose Placidus and he is nowhere listed on the school's list of instructors. I did also talk with him on skype, he looked dodgy and said idiotic things like I had to deal with his travel agent so that they could transport me from the airport! As though I could not get myself from here to Madrid to a school in town. So don't do any business with his travel agency, AirBerlin.com, that guy's name is Regulus Ximun. I am really really crushed, and just kicking myself for being so stupid. And I am about to leave Europe too, so this was basically my last chance. Did you all send copies of your passport? I have emailed them they better shred whatever I sent them. Unfortunately, I live in a small Dutch town that is not very up to date on Internet crime. Oh well......... (:
RodStephens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^
Sorry to hear that. This is all terribly unfair. That's the same guy I dealt with yes.
lilcaddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, really sorry for all of us. I am still GUTTED and horrified. Plus it's back to the States for me..... but at least we have learned a lesson I hope. I have told the administrators of this site about it, that they might be more cautious in future about whose ads they post, and perhaps even issue us an apology.

Cheers to all and good luck. Caddy
roshie6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also received an offer from them and was wondering if you could tell me how you found out it was a scam? I'm wondering what they are after if it is a scam: passport, money...people? What have the police said? Is this someone using the always-idiomas name to try and scam people, or is all of always-idiomas a scam? Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: