ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do not teach in public school in Taiwan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Do not teach in public school in Taiwan. Reply with quote

I'm conflicted about writing this post because I love my job here. The staffand students are great. Brief background. I was a public school teacher in the USA, and have taught ESL for the Cleveand Indians baseball team, Ringling Bros Circus, Nike, Walt Disney World, and Yani Tseng #1 LPGA. I've also taught in several countries, so my opinion is based on some experience.

The reason I would not return to Taiwan public schools is because of a new 18% monthly tax. It's crazy. I earn 65000 NTD a month, but they take 12,000 just in taxes. I can go many other places and earn the same without the high tax. This is the main reason I wouldn't return, or even come to Taiwan if I were you.

Damien
lipofootoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi~
If I remember correctly, that high tax existed when I was there years ago in private schools. So maybe this is new for public schools. I think it depended upon the time of the year you entered and started work in Taiwan.

Won't you get a rebate on that later?
Damien

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Taiwan tax Reply with quote

Hi lipofooto,

The tax is definitely new for public school, but cram schools only have 5% tax. I have friends that work for different cram schools and I immediately checked to see if it applied to them.

If you stay in Taiwan more than 183 days you get a partial refund. HOWEVER, if you leave the country for even a holiday, those days don't count. School contract is only 183. I think it's extortion!! A way to get teachers to stay another year. I don't like it. I think it's also punishing me for being a foreign teacher. I won't stay in a place that does that.

Europe, here I come.......again Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: