ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

any countries accepting applications from a 60 year old ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryannwilkes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: any countries accepting applications from a 60 year old ? Reply with quote

Hi!
I taught in China in 2009, and hoped to return. However, I understand that work visas are not given for 55 and older teachers.
So, I got super excited about teaching in Dubai, only to find out that age 50 is their limit.
I am a very young 60 year old. Where can I teach?

maryannwilkes@hotmail.ca
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: AGE CHART Reply with quote

Hello MaryAnnWilkes

Welcome to the forum

Here is a chart with the age limits for various countries. However, I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/nonmembers/age-article.htm

One way around this dilemma is to work for an agency who supplies teachers, under contract, to the country in which you want to work. The agreement is between the agent and the country and not between yourself and the country, so age limits don't come into the equation. This has worked for me in the past and in my case it was in Libya (50 was the age limit here and I was well past that) but that country isn't very stable just now and so I can't advise you on where to go.

UJ
St. George

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: BACKSHEESH Reply with quote

Another way is the baksheesh. A sum of money given as a bribe.

This is quite acceptable in the Middle East and India. However, there maybe several people in the chain before you get to the one with the authority and could cost you a few hundred dollars in the end.

Depends how desperate you are...
aardvark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Turkey.....

That's where my dept. chair went after reaching age 65
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman.

I've been in two different workplaces, and both have had people who were in their late sixties. Although the law says people over 60 shouldn't be hired, the need for teachers is great enough that it gets ignored.
Naomi Abrahams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Difficulty getting work Reply with quote

I am in the unfortunate position of being over fifty five, not having either a degree or countable experience. I also did most of my 140hrs of training online. I've been on an internship in Vietnam for the last few weeks but I'm leaving as it is not what was originally promised. Others have been given new placements but my lack of a degree is making it next to impossible for me to be given an alternative placement. I have taught here for a month and taught a six month, one to one, class, last year. I've had no response to my many job applications. I plan to return to Ireland, where I live, at the end of the week as this experience has almost cleaned me out financially. Any advice please, I'm desperate
St. George

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: PORKIES Reply with quote

Hello Naomi Abrahams

First of all, don't give up. Keep sending your CV. You are a native speaker, so that is in your favour.

However, you have to tell a few porkies. Beef up your CV by increasing your teaching experience. They don't check up, so don't worry about that. You have to get the interview, at all costs, then you can tell them how good you are. Don't tell them anything negative about yourself. You have everything they are looking for. Tell them what they want to hear. Prior to the interview, rehearse all your answers and then you will come over as being very confident and experienced.

Click on this link for interview questions http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2100&highlight=interview

St, G
Naomi Abrahams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George, I've been so worried about getting an interview that I have forgotten about being well prepared for one. Great list of questions to think about answers for.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: ESL SCHOOL FINDER Reply with quote

Hello Naomi

Welcome to the forum

We have an ESL School Finder guide, which contains over 10,000 school addresses worldwide. We think this is the best means of placing your CV direct with the school. You can follow up with a phone call and if there are no vacancies, your CV can be kept on file until there is.

It is downloadable direct to your desktop and so you could be sending your CV in minutes.

You can review it for 90 days and If you are not happy with it, your fee will be refunded, without question.

http://www.esl-school-finder.com/

Best of luck

UJ
Naomi Abrahams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that I might get a new placement here in VN but if I get it I will definitely download it when I finish in January, thanks
Naomi Abrahams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the placement in Vietnam fell through and I'm back in Ireland. I was contacted about an interview at an academy in Madrid, shortly afterwards, but it was for the following day. They suggested that I reschedule, when I move there, but I can't afford to move unless I have a definite job. So frustrating! As far as internships go, I reccomend checking these out thoroughly before committing to them because otherwise there can be some unpleasant consequences. Still it was an interesting experience. Being called for an interview in Madrid has shown me that ther are still some possiblities for those of us who are a bit older and don't have degrees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: