ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phryq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Where to go? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm a young (25) male teacher from Canada, with a degree in Fine Arts, as well as a Teachers College degree.

There's a local TEFL course, $1000 4 weekends. It guarantees a job, but maybe CELTA is better to get in the long term? On the other hand, I live in Ontario, and can find no CELTA courses here (I imagine only the University of Cambridge offers them). So is an online CELTA still worth as much? I'm feeling like I may waste a lot of time and money on the course and then spend a year teaching to realize ESL is not my thing.

I'm also wondering, I want to go somewhere that is very non-Western. Somewhere that's not hysterical and affected by mass media. I was thinking Siberia, or even somewhere like Venezuala, because of their left-wing / communist tendencies.

On the other hand, I want to pay back my student debt. . .

Is my Teachers College degree worth much in this field?

Also, I've taught piano and guitar privately for 6 years. Is this worth anything? And would it be practical in certain countries to give private music music lessons on the side?

Thanks
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: HERMIT Reply with quote

Hello Phryq

Welcome to the forum

There are CELTA courses in Toronto and also on the border, in Montreal.

However, you are well qualified, with two degrees, including a teaching qualification and teaching experience, so any online TESOL certificate will serve your purpose, if you are not sure that's what you want to do.

Supplementing your income by giving musical lessons is a great idea. Of course, you will have to teach them English first!

Just checking in our ESL School Finder guide and there are around 20 ESL Schools in Siberia and around 50 in Venezuala and if you fancy trying somewhere else, then the guide contains the addresses and telephone numbers of over 10,000 ESL Schools worldwide. You will find the details here:
http://www.esl-school-finder.com/

After your period in Siberia, you may appreciate the West a little better. Might be better if you went somewhere in-between; being a hermit isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Best of luck

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: