ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Education Experts is making its move
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Education Experts is making its move Reply with quote

If you are already registered with Education Experts, you have been or will be contacted by EE for future employment.

The timing of this is troubling, because the story I was told is that universities are starting with a "clean slate" of new hires. It would have been better to tell the teachers that their services are no longer required in May or June.

To start recruitment in July means a 3 or 4 month lag between the signing of contract and arrival in KSA. These new hires will start arriving in Oct. or Nov. and my guess is that Muslim teachers will have to pick up the slack between now and Nov.

I would like to hear from other teachers who have taught in KSA. Is this the kind of planning that is normal and standard procedure? Question
aardvark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Never mind EdEx - AVOID AVOID Reply with quote

Take a trip to Daves ESL Cafe and you'll see horrifying posts about EdEx....Be safe, not sorry and AVOID EdEx (aka Chase recruiting)
St. George

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: TAKE IT EASY Reply with quote

Aardvark

As you now know, this kind of delay in Arab countries is par for the course.

I remember, in Saudi, when they 'lost' my passport, I went every day to the office, as I needed my passport to go on leave. One day, when I arrived, the office was empty, so I looked in the top drawer of his desk and there it was, just lying there, not hidden but on top of everything else in the drawer. They are just too lazy to even look in a drawer.

I am also reminded, of the time I flew into a desert location in Libya and my luggage was lost and I only had the clothes I was standing in. After a week of enquiries and no results, I eventually went to the airport and was told that my case had still not been found. However, a Libyan manager who was just about to board the plane, to go on leave, suggested that I go on board to look in the hold myself. Well, you couldn’t make it up; there it was, the only case in the hold. Apparently, it had been found at the beginning of the week and had been in the hold, being flown backwards and forwards, from Tripoli to the desert for one week and nobody had bothered themselves to find out about the only bag left in the hold after every trip. I must point out that those in authority were all Arabs including the pilots.

God only knows what goes on in their minds!

Never mind; take it easy…

St. G
aardvark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, St G.

After going thru the hassle of teaching in KSA, I have to ask myself "was it really worth it??" I am not a young teacher and the age limit of 60 sometimes puts me in a panic state.

There was a great quote from Daves ESL site which ran:

The great Arab philosopher said, "Westerners only come to KSA 2 times for 2 reasons: once for the need and twice for the greed"

I guess I know why it was so important......now it's not. Smile
Abdul Al-Qahtani

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: EdEx is the best! Hands Down! Reply with quote

Saudi Arabia is one of the worst places in the planet for men and women of any religion. Let's be honest, the Arabian Desert is not small, and it is quite harsh. The environment, literally, turns people into snakes. EdEx is a recruitment company, and they are as good as it gets in Saudi. The only reason the Saudis are even still there is because of the oil. Honestly, anybody who is anybody in the Middle East runs from the region. Most Muslims love it because they can go to Mekkah and Medinah, but they even struggle with the life because it is quite simply inhospitable. Everyone in the Kingdom is treated as a slave, and this is hard to deal with for even the poorest men and women. Most people you meet working in the Kingdom are basically slaves, and they have lived a life of servitude that has conditioned them to be focused on the money they get. The reality is that Saudi may have a bit of money now, but this will be a short lived party. Saudi has huge social, educational, and geographic problems. I believe that this region is a powder keg, and that the other Arab countries reliance on Saudi for money will end fatally with a masses war within the region. The sad reality is that Arabs have been fighting Arabs and non-Arabs for thousands of years. This has not ended with Islam nor will it ever. EdEx is a quick money scheme but so is everything in the Kingdom. People get burned all over the region as direct hires and through agencies because it is part of their culture.
Abdul Al-Qahtani

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: KSU/Saudi/Employee Paradise Reply with quote

Why students begin studying an L2 at 19 is beyond me? This, however, is a larger analogy for the social problems underlying the entire region of the Middle East. Saudis are generally extremely kind people. Sunnis Muslims are kind, too. KSU is basically a circus designed to frustrate students and keep them off the street. There is very little learning going on, and the money would be better spent on creating competition centered on Arabic learning with multinational students. The entire education system in Saudi and the rest of the region is quite simply a joke. Arabs are lazy people, and they have a lazy culture. Meaningful research in both Arabic and English does not exist within the region, and very little get done because the majority of time is spent between men fighting with other men and women fighting with other women. To the educated, the entire thing is a pointless entity designed to keep the oil flowing. Most administrators have been given degrees by institutions within the Middle East because they are wealthy, or they have simply bought them. The level of incompetence and classism in the Middle East and the Kingdom is quite high. The region is a powder keg, and men, regardless of religion, should not be living in the Arabian Desert. I used to feel sorry because women could not driver there, but then I lived there for 5 years. Why would anyone want to even leave their house? The place is literally hell on Earth. There is no sugar coating it with religion or money because this is the reality. Saudis use recruitment companies because they do not want to directly hire and treat individuals ethically. All non-Saudis and non-wealthy Saudis are simply slaves. They justify the mistreatment of foreign workers and their own people through business expletives. It is just a matter of time before the Saudis realize this, and the Kingdom cannot afford to bring in foreign workers.
nelsonwilliam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: DELETED Reply with quote

Off topic, therefore deleted UJ
beanman2112

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: OFF TOPIC Reply with quote

Off topic - post deleted UJ
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: KSU/Saudi/Employee Paradise Reply with quote

Quote:
"Abdul Al-Qahtani" Saudis use recruitment companies because they do not want to directly hire and treat individuals ethically. All non-Saudis and non-wealthy Saudis are simply slaves. They justify the mistreatment of foreign workers and their own people through business expletives. It is just a matter of time before the Saudis realize this, and the Kingdom cannot afford to bring in foreign workers.

The Saudis are deporting illegal expats who do the menial but important labor in the country. They are using brutal, crude methods of deportation that remind you of how cheap life is in the ME. The Arab Spring will come to Saudi Arabia and its a question of when rather than if. Westerners should be prepared when the excrement hits the rotating device.
micklock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Terrible Decision Reply with quote

This is a long review but do take a couple of minutes to read it.

I applied through a recruiter (Love TEFL), got the job and then did some research online. I found some horror stories and asked the recruiter about them. I was told that the reason Love TEFL was working with them was to help with admin and interviews and therefore solve a lot of the issues I'd read about. Also we all know only bad experiences (like this one) make it onto forums and review sites.

I paid for my own travel to London to do their medicals and also suffered medicals being cancelled after I'd booked flights. A very frustrating process but I thought the adventure and money would be worth it.

About 4 months into the process Love TEFL stopped working with EdEx because they realised the admin problems were not going away and their days were starting to clog up with people wondering what was going on.

After nearly 6 months of waiting due to admin mistakes I decided I wanted my £500 back.

This was when I experienced the outstanding professionalism of Mr James Wells. This man doesn't pick up his phone or answer emails which, considering they were holding £500 of my money and have messed up so much, is beyond unprofessional. I had planned to go to Saudi for a year but now a whole year has been ruined by this company making me wait to get to Saudi and then making me wait to get MY money back.

There were about 7 others that I know of who voiced their concern on the EdEx facebook page. After a few days I discovered that the facebook page was no longer up when I asked Love TEFL they told me that there had been “some inappropriate activity regarding James personally”. Basically people were getting so frustrated that they were venting on the Facebook page as that was the only way to get James Wells' attention! People have reported this company to the police, trading standards and the ombudsman. This whole situation felt like a scam.

I managed to speak to another man at EdEx who, because James got tired of ignoring calls, was tasked with fobbing me off with all the nuance of a propa geeza. “Is James going to call me back this time?” “Well I can't speak about what another man is gonna do”. Obviously I was very annoyed by this so Irefused to let up. I called and called and sent texts until I was promised my money on a specific date and even at a specific time. This never happened and once again I'd been fobbed off.

It took the perseverance and professionalism of Jo at Love TEFL to finally get me my money back after about 3 months of lies. Had I been dealing only with EdEx I don't know how long I would have been waiting.

As mentioned above I'd read a lot of horror stories before I gave them my money. I thought it was just a few unlucky people who suffer having their plans ruined and time wasted. It seems this company is like a huge conveyer belt. You might get through the machine but it's very likely you'll get stuck in the gears.

If you go for a job with this crowd you will most likely suffer either because of the unprofessionalism of the London office or because of the behaviour those working for them in Saudi have written about.

Like I said at the beginning I'd read the stories and advice and decided to take a risk. It didn't pay off, I'm annoyed so I'm writing a review. If you're wise enough to google them and read this take my advice and find another company. At least keep researching because there is a lot of information about Education Experts.
smub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Micklock,

I am in a similar situation as you were in! Optimistic at the prospect of teaching in Saudi but now regretting it terribly!! Edu Experts still owe me my refund for the visa. I went through Love Tefl too and had some help from Jo, but unfortunately she is on maternity leave now. The people who are covering her have told me to chase James myself! So as you can imagine I am not in a very good position!!

Any adivce you can give would be much appreciated. I can’t believe they are allowed to rob people like that! Really not sure what to do..

Thanks,
S
wajiha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: What to do if they are not giving your money back Reply with quote

You should contact them saying if they do not give your money back that you will contact the ombudsmen. Then if they dont reply or give it back tell the financial ombudsmen. They have the authority to get your money back if education experts haven't been able to keep their end of the deal. They misled everyone!
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Chase - Love same @#$%@$ Reply with quote

Chase Recruiting put up an ad on TotalESL.com for an instructor at Princess Noura University.
They had to gall to say this:

"Don’t miss out as you may not get this chance again!!"

I suggest that teachers out there should apply for this job and then turn them down. Tell them the salary is too low & Chase has a bad reputation. Once you turn down an offer, it "empowers" you and you feel better about yourself. Very Happy
DBoyce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: EdEx gone Reply with quote

Education Experts are no more.

They traded in the last few years as two Limited Companies: Education Experts London Limited and Education Experts Company Limited.

Education Experts London Limited was dissolved by Companies House on 9th June 2015, and Education Experts Company Limited was scheduled to be dissolved on 21 July 2015, and presumably has been.

James Wells, Lloyd Byles and RIchard Bramble all ceased to be Directors of the companies some time ago.

This information is in the public domain and can be found in the online records of Companies House.

If, like me, you never got your £500 back (in my case because on the phone requesting a refund form to send by post, I was not told that they were moving in a day or two) you now stand virtually no chance, as far as I can see.

You will never get any money back from a dissolved Limited Company with no assets.

Of course, one presumes that James Wells, RIchard Bramble and Lloyd Byles still exist - THEY have not been dissolved. Their too too solid flesh has not, one imagines, melted, thawed, or resolved itself into a dew.

What will they be doing in life? Presumably sticking, in some form, with what they allegedly know best - EFL recruitment.

So, it behoves one to look very carefully at the ownership and management of any recruitment company, lest any of these are associated with it.

Happily for me, I ended up teaching in KSA having been recruited by another company so although the loss of £500 stings, it is not a complete financial disaster. But some had applied as married couples, and the wayward ineptitude of EdEx has cost them £1000.
DBoyce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: James Wells resurfaces Reply with quote

Readers may like to know that Mr James Wells, formerly a Director of Education Experts London Limited and Education Experts Company Limited, is still in the recruitment business.
Mr. James Wells is the sole DIrector of Global Teach Ltd, 240 Kingsland Road, 77 Timber Wharf, London, England, E2 8AT incorporated on 3rd February 2015. www.globalteach.org.uk
According to a contributor elsewhere online, the company asks for £800 upfront for Visas etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: