ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Scam: Camerron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alibonso

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Possible Scam: Camerron Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I am new here and looking for my first ESL teaching job. I think i have received a baptism of fire as a debutante. My case is like this:

I have signed a contract with one Cameroonian university and i have scanned them all the required docs. They directed me to a "sister" accommodation company which they said would take care of my accommodation needs since the university could not provide accommodation for new teachers. The university also said that in order to get a work visa, i was supposed to have a proof accommodation and the agency would do all that for me upon payment.

The accommodation agency requested that i pay accommodation fees of $US1800.00 for six months, but i negotiated with them till we settled on paying for two months rentals which were $US600.00. I sent them the funds through my bank and upon arrival, they said they could not withdraw the funds so they sent them back to me, but i have not received the money to date, its been almost two weeks. However, the agency provided a proof of accommodation to the university so that they forward my docs to the embassy for visa application.

Meanwhile, the agency has requested that when i get the money back, i should again send it to them through another channel which is not the bank transfer. I smell a rat. What can i do. Anyone help me.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: POSSIBLE SCAM Reply with quote

Hello Alibonso

Welcome to the forum

We have had problems with Cameroon before

Check out the following threads

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5988&highlight=cameroon

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4990&highlight=cameroon

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4656&highlight=cameroon

I suggest that you contact the British Council in Cameroon to verify whether any of your contacts are genuine or not. You will find the British Council contact information in one of the threads above.

UJ
alibonso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I will do that right away.
dilly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: dodgy indeed Reply with quote

I've had a similar experience via a (now deleted) ad from Cameroon, specifically the University of Bamenda, which offered me a good position (without even a skype interview) and were just starting on the pre-booked accommodation thing.

I've dropped it as things were not looking very serious (eg 0.5% tax on a 50k salary, which is not the tax rate in Cameroon, I checked). It also gave me the opportunity (in the early stages) to think about whether I really wanted to work in sub-Saharan Africa just now, and I came to the conclusion that I don't... so not a complete waste of time.

Meanwhile there is a new ad up from Bamenda: http://www.eslemployment.com/tefl-esl-tesol-teachers-nkwen-north-west-cameroon-31047017.htm

...and a few others from Cameroon, all of which should I think come with a health warning. It's a shame though as the (genuinely) new Uni in Bamenda looks like a brave effort and might (genuinely) be wanting foreign lecturers sometime.

Thanks to those of you who have flagged this up previously.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: JOB POSTING Reply with quote

Dilly

I'll check out this advertisement too...

UJ
dilly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... that's the end of my scam reports for today Smile
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: DELETED Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Dilly

This job posting has now been deleted

UJ
dilauro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Another attempt at this scam: University of Bamenda Reply with quote

I recently applied to an ad posted on the eslemployment website from the University of Bamenda in Cameroon. This is shaping up identically to the other posters experience. Additionally, in researching the offer, I found another person, on a different ESL website, with another identical experience. His email job offer, almost exactly like mine, even had the same applicant number (Your Application Number: T050179) as my own. Furthermore, when he pulled out of negotiations, he later received a call from a person claiming to be from the US FBI office in Cameroon. This person then requested money to investigate this alleged scam. Clearly, that was a last chance grab at some money before the fish was off the hook. I sincerely recommend that someone contact the University of Bamenda and make them aware that this scam has happened multiple times using their name, and permanently ban or investigate any future postings by an agent purporting to represent them.

Hope this protects somebody from the potential loss and definite disappointment of this situation.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this I can forward you copies of their emails and direct you to other people who encountered this scam.

Good luck teachers. I hope you find a real job with a good school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: