ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a possible scam???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrickpellegrino42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Is this a possible scam??? Reply with quote

I am being contacted by this group and it seems too good to be true so following what people say when it looks too good to be true!
Does any one know if this is a scam?
TAWFIQ GOVERNMENT SCHOOL 58, 35792 BEYLIKDUZU, ISTANBUL TURKEY. TEL/FAX:00905370509340 Question Question Question Question Question
celikana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have been in contact with these people too.. i have tried to google the school and nothing comes up! Also something that makes me suspicious is the website address says .tk when turkey is .tr! .tk is actually somewhere in new zealand it seems. One more thing that makes me suspicious is the phone no they provide is actually a cell phone number.
How far along in the process are you?? I am at the "candidate interview" stage via email. I am going to keep going with the process in the hope it turns out not to be a scam. But the salary they claim to pay is more in line with dubais rates than turkey..
patrickpellegrino42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Contact?? Reply with quote

Not very far! The offer seems to be way out of line for Turkey and that is why I was concerned! The for sure sign will be if they request any money up front or if they say you need to work with a visa providing company that wants money up front!
Like you I will wait and see!
Patrick Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
celikana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lucky enough to not need a visa as i have turkish citizenship gained through marriage. However i will not be sending any money for any other purpose and should they request any i will get my husband to report them to the powers that be..
I am just new to teaching and never expected to find people scamming you in such a way.. have you encountered this before??
Anyway lets just keep our fingers and toes crossed that it is some rich arabian company working with a school in turkey! Far fetched i know... Very Happy
Keep in touch with your progress and i will do same
Good luck with ur application and your future job search..
patrickpellegrino42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Is this a possible scam??? Reply with quote

It is interesting that they are using what seems to be an official Turkish web site!
If you click on all the links you will see that!
I already have a position but the benefits and salary here are very good! so....
Take care and yes, they have tried to scam me before on this web site and the salary money amount was the same so is what made me a little suspicious.
Good luck with your search also!
Patrick Laughing Laughing Laughing
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: OBVIOUS SCAM Reply with quote

Hello patrickpellegrino42 and celikana

Welcome to the Forum.

This is obviously a scam, so you would be advised to discontinue communicating with them.

I suggest that you read the other posts relating to scams in this section and become enlightened.

You have already pointed out that it is a mobile number ( it is very unlikely that a government school has no landline telephone ) and the .tk in their email address is not for Turkey. Actually .tk is used by many scammers, so this should set the alarm bells ringing

Send me the link to the advertisement and the link to their official website and I will point out further anomalies

UJ
celikana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawfiqgovernmentschool.tk is the website it does look awfully official. They have even put picture of ataturk on it too..
patrickpellegrino42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Is this a possible scam??? Reply with quote

I will go you one better here is the entire e-mail that was sent to me!
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:03 PM
Subject: $4800USD/MONTHLY TEACHING POSITIONS WITH FREE 2WAYS AIR TICKET, ACCOMMODATION AND FAMILY BENEFITS IN TURKEY
TAWFIQ GOVERNMENT SCHOOL 58, 35792 BEYLIKDUZU, ISTANBUL TURKEY. TEL/FAX:00905370509340 EMAIL: info@tawfiqgovernmentschool.tk WEBSITE: www.tawfiqgovernmentschool.tk Introducing British curriculum in a modern way. Dear Applicant, We are looking for experienced teachers who are committed to providing students with the opportunity to achieve high academic standards. The school encourages academic excellent and high social standards, with British Curriculum. No knowledge of Turkish or Arabic language is required. To apply you MUST meet the following requirements: * Bachelor Degree in any discipline or any recognized teaching qualification in ENGLISH,ESL,ESOL,EFL,ELT,TESL,TESOL,TEFL,EAL,EIL,ELF,ESP,EAP. * Excellent communication skills - written and spoken * Positive outlook with a strong desire to teach. * Valid Passport. * All Nationalities are Accepted The Salary & Benefits will be as follows: * Salary is $4800USD per month(Tax Free) or more depending on qualifications. * Feeding Allowance is $250USD Weekly. * Overtime pay $50USD/an hour. * Severance Pay equal to 1 month’s salary (on completion of contract). * 30 days Paid Vacation per year including all Saturday,Sunday and National Holidays * Free 2ways Air ticket provided. * 100% Pension provided. * 100% Medical Insurance provided. * Free 2bed room Apartment (Rent-free and furnished) with basic household necessities including Furniture, Curtains, bed, bedding, sheets, desk, closet, table, dining set, VCR, TV, washing machine, clothes rack, pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, phone, internet access, fridge, stove, fan or AC, and a working heating system etc. FAMILY BENEFITS. In case your application is accepted then we will be responsible for the air ticket, accommodation, feeding and education expenses of your dependants till end of your contract duration with us in turkey. The Job Details are as follows: * 12 months contract(Renewable) * Working days : Monday to Friday (6hours Daily) * Generally classes 1 hour equals 40 minutes to 50 minutes Teaching per a class. * Age groups range from elementary to high school students (30~40 students/a class) Interested applicants should submit their CV/Resume and Recent photo through email: employment@tawfiqgovernmentschool.tk ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED WITH IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT PROTOCOLS. Best Regards, Mr. Zayd Muwaffaq Director of Studies.
Now you have the entire e-mail with all the links.
If you can not click on the links then cut and paste them into your browser's address bar.
One takes you to a Turkish government web site.
It amazes me that they would mess with an official Turkish web site!
Patrick
sarahrebekah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: is this a possible scam? Reply with quote

I also received the same emails, and also a contract, with photos, of the staff, and students, yet quite vague. I passed it by my Turkish friends and they thought it also seemed ok. I'm not sure, if it's a scam, what do they intend to gain from this? I don't understand what their point is.
Caramel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Something is fishy Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I received this email too, twice. I have a feeling it is a scam because:
- their website doesnt look professional.
- where did they get our email addresses from?
- how come the ad is not on any other job formus/websites except for one chinese website called cathy something??

As to why they are doing this, am not sure. Maybe they want to collect resumes to sell? Or maybe the next step would be asking you for bank account details or sending money.

I would not send my resume
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everybody

Welcome Newcomers.

Actually, Patrick, they haven't messed with the government website; they have just directed everybody to it, to make the scam look genuine.

This is a common practise among the scammers. Why go to the bother of setting up a website when you can use someone else's?

The actual address of the Turkish government website is http://www.meb.gov.tr and therefore, the email address and telephone number given on the website is sgb@meb.gov.tr and +90 312 212 7060. These are different to the email address and telephone number given in the advertisement and the email.

Therefore, the first thing you need to do, is to check whether the advertisement and email are genuine using the website contact addresses and telephone numbers.

I would be interested to know their response...

UJ
patrickpellegrino42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Is this a possible scam??? Reply with quote

I didn't call the number but did send an e-mail and have not received any answer! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: TELEPHONE NUMBER Reply with quote

Hello Everybody

My Turkish colleague called the number on the official government website (+90 312 212 7060) which is in Ankara and the lady he spoke to said, that salary would not be paid to a foreign teacher. Nevertheless, she gave him a telephone number for Istanbul, where they would be able to verify if the job position is genuine and they would speak in English.

The number is +90 212 455 0400 extension 244. However, the operator will give 10 options after you get through, so just wait until she finishes and then dial the extension 244.

I tried the number but there was no answer, so I suggest you keep trying until someone is available.

UJ
sarahrebekah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are asking for money. I received a request for visas...
celikana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever they are they are very childish! I submitted my interview answers only to receive 3 emails back 2 titled stupid and 1 titled dont contact us again, i think they have been rumbled..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: