ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need ESL advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsinger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Need ESL advice Reply with quote

Hi -
I'm not an ESL teacher but I need a little advice from one. I'm originally American (grew up there till I was 25) - Now I live in Israel. My children speak English pretty well since we speak it at home, but Hebrew is really their preferred language-

They learned to read and write English in school but preferred reading Hebrew and didn't take advantage of the fact that they spoke English while the other children were learnning elementary vocabulary.

Now the problem - Israel actually requires children to learn to read English and has a high level English test for getting into University.

My son is 20 years old and ready to apply to university and his reading level is too low

He can read an adult paperback but it has to be an easier one (no Clancy) and it takes him very long to plow through it.

He asked me if I can get him a list of rules for reading English

Is there anything online that someone can recommend

Thanks
daniel84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi patsinger,

I don't know is this my answer late since you posted this post 4 months ago, but there's no adequate literature (except those for studies) which will teach your son the rules for English reading, and also I think there's no full list of rules that will make your son a better reader...

I honestly think your son must practice English pronunciation, and there's no better person to do that then you, since you are from America and your mother tongue is English... Read to him, then read together and that's my advice because there will be no better English-native speaker/reader to him then yourself...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: