ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pre-interview CELTA...need help :((please)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sezamek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: pre-interview CELTA...need help :((please) Reply with quote

Hello. I need some help with the CELTA pre-interview task.

I know the mistakes. However, I have no idea how to explain them easily. I'm new to the teachers' world, so please help me Sad I've got some ideas for the answers but the biggest problem for me is to explain to students, so they understand.

Could anyone help me please:(Each of the exchanges below contains a mistake.

In each case:
a) indicate what the mistake is
b) write in the correct version in the box
c) write, in simple terms, an explanation that the student would understand

1) "I'd like some informations about your courses".
"Certainly, here's our brochure".
'informations' is a mistake. It is an uncountable noun and plural itself, so we don't add "s" to the plural form.

2) "What does your teacher look like?"
"He looks like tall".
'looks like' is a mistake. We say he 'is' tall. (no idea how to explain that)

3) "What did you do last night?"
"Oh, I watched a very bored programme on television".
'bored' is a mistake. We say boring. We use the present participle (don't know again)

Cool "Why didn't you answer the telephone?"
"Because I had a bath".
I 'was having' a bath...should be... because we say the reason?

Imagine you are teaching a multilingual group of 12 adult learners at BEGINNER level.
a)What problems might your students have in (i) understanding,
(ii) pronouncing and (iii) using these items?

i) I've got a headache. ('have got'...possession?)
ii) comfortable (pronouncing 'table' (as an object in a classroom)
iii) What's the matter?(matter=issue?)
Olyaaaa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: answers Reply with quote

Hello Sezamek. I'll try to help you now. I hope I am not too late.

2) "What does your teacher look like?"
"He looks like tall".
'looks like' is a mistake. We say he 'is' tall. (no idea how to explain that)

Looks like is mostly used when we compare things, people. We can say, for example, He looks like Jane. Jane is tall, so he is tall too.

3) "What did you do last night?"
"Oh, I watched a very bored programme on television".
'bored' is a mistake. We say boring. We use the present participle (don't know again)
We use boring because in this case it is an adjective, it describes the word programme. Bored is used without a noun.

Cool "Why didn't you answer the telephone?"
"Because I had a bath".
I 'was having' a bath...should be... because we say the reason?
Yes, it should be said 'I was having a bath.' Past Continouus Tense is used because an action in process (having a bath) was interrupted by another action 'answer the telephone'

I hope this will help. Sorry I could answer only some of them
couscraig

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sezamek.

I have been teaching in China for seven years now and am often confronted with these issues.

How do we explain a grammatical issue when the students don't understand what we are saying?

You simply need to give physical examples and then have them demonstrate the different examples. For instance 'bored' simply teach all forms of the word eg. I am bored. You/this/it are/is/is boring. etc. The same goes with your other issues.

I am always happy to pause my classes to give a more understanding explanation to my students and they appreciate it also.

There are many ways to get the message across, you just need to think; what is going to work for this instance. Can I use different words that I know are in their vocabulary that they will understand? (I often resort to simple broken English to explain something) What if I act it out, will they understand? What if I explain all forms, will they then know what I mean? etc.

Once they get it, give the the grammatical answer as you normally would and continue with the class.

It works for me I hope it helps you also.

Just remember there is more to teaching ESL than just using the books and getting the task done. Make it more personal, find different ways to communicate with your students. You will find that they really appreciate the extra effort and in return seem to give that extra effort in trying to understand what you are teaching. It's a win win scenario.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: