ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Forum! Please read...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: New Forum! Please read... Reply with quote

Welcome...it's a great pleasure of ESLemployment to open a new forum. Say Anything.

As we are part of a large, international community of teachers and job-seekers, we're happy to provide a place for a little relief, to share stories and rants, and to get to know one another, outside the formality of the job.

Got something to say? Say it here.

Of course, this is still a pubic forum, so be polite. Let's keep the flaming to a minimum.
jnvburke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

Hi, People,

Ever since my years in school back in the '60's, I have wanted to visit PR China, Korea, and Japan. At the time, when I was studying Chinese history, the prospects seemed very dim, what with Mao, Lin Pao, and even Chou en li running things, such an expedition was a suicide pact.
I was invited to North Korea by my good friends at Bechtel to perform as a Safety Manager in the building of a state-of-the-art French railway system the Koreans had somehow acquired.
The challenges and the money was tempting, but when I found that my offices would be in Singapore;---Singapore? I turned it down. One of the guys who worked for me, a former secondary school teacher himself, showed me this website inviting people to teach in Korea. I wound up teaching English at one university in Busan, Oil Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasures at another, and consulting across the board at Han Jin on Youngdo, Nampudong, Busan, Samsung in the small town of Gumi, north of Taegu, as well as at LG Electronics in the same community. I made several junkets to Japan, as well, both for the visa at Fukuoka and the experiences there and in other parts of the nation.
Then I returned to Houston and took up my post as Environmental Health & Safety Manager at a steel mill in the Houston suburb of Baytown.
Shortly thereafter, I was hired to teach ESL at a university in Nanchang, PR China. Thankfully, I was able to see first hand many of the towns and cities (Chingdau and Yangtai, mainly), as well as some of the places and temples I had studied and dreamed about during grad school so many years ago. Beijing, Shanghai, Macao...
Upon my return, I rejoined my old crew at the steel mill, functioning in much the same capacity as before, happy and thankful for the trips and to be back home far richer than when I left.
Our governments and press have neglected to teach us about these people, most of whom are as positive, honest and hardworking as any people anywhere. How they have kept hope alive is a mystery, but they taught and I learned an important lesson: Western criticism wilts these folks and a basic sympathetic approach consistantly opens their doors at any and all levels.
I doubt that I shall visit these places again; I am an American through and through, and Dorothy was right!
pauldadd999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning Reply with quote

Quote from JnvBurke.

Upon my return, I rejoined my old crew at the steel mill, functioning in much the same capacity as before, happy and thankful for the trips and to be back home far richer than when I left.

From me:

Could you clarify what you mean by "richer"? Were you able to make good dough back then in the PRC? Or spiritually? Can teaching in China help you in that regard?
paulo2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

- P=MC2

Last edited by paulo2006 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHERE o WHERE hast thou been my oddly-intentioned and dubiously-equipped friend?
paulo2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

- P=MC2

Last edited by paulo2006 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
paulo2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:delete

- P=MC2

Last edited by paulo2006 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power of the Word, as you well know my wayward friend.

It almost, just almost sounds like you'd be there in Oaxaca with APPO, cheering on the carnage...have you gone LIBERAL? Shocked
paulo2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

- P=MC2

Last edited by paulo2006 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
paulo2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

- P=MC2

Last edited by paulo2006 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Paulie, I didn't realize that there might have been a question in all of that...

...in fact I'm still not sure.

Stay out of the sun, Paulie.
paulo2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

- P=MC2

Last edited by paulo2006 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed...life is rather like a banana smoothie. Don't matter if you approach it with a straw from the left or the right...it's all going to the same place.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're probably teaching somewhere in Texas...make that check out for a dollar Paulie...I wouldn't want to break the bank.
paulo2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

- P=MC2

Last edited by paulo2006 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little voice in your ear back again? Don't ignore it...it's telling you good things.

DC was actually my first choice, but I messed it up when tracing your IP address and picked Texas...oh well.

Back in the USA...so the good money is rolling in, is it? Good for you. Everyone in Oaxaca says 'hi' by the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: