ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL now, or after law school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tang

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: ESL now, or after law school? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'll graduate, with a BA in linguistics and media, in four weeks time. I'm very excited, and want to use ESL to travel the world and live overseas (I picked up a 100-hour online ESL certificate to boost my employability).

Although I know that I want to have a life filled with travel, I'm not sure if I can see myself doing ESL for the rest of my days. I got a law school offer at the best school in Australia (my home), and the law is a fascinating area that can potentially lead to a diverse range of travel-related careers. The JD is three years.

So, I'm now at a crossroads: should I take my BA overseas, live in a foreign country for 1 or 2 years (probably Japan), then return and do law? Or should I smash out the JD, and then go overseas?

There are a few things to consider, such as how my life will change over the next three years, and whether ESL is still an OK option at 24 years of age (vs. 21). I know there are lots of older people teaching overseas, but is the three years' difference going to put me at a serious disadvantage?

Even though moving into the workforce is the recommended path after law school, I don't want to do that, because I don't want to spend 40 years behind a desk and be filled with regret. If I found that I really loved teaching and wanted to get an MA, would that still be advisable at 26 or so? Even though taking a $35k ESL job isn't that great after a law degree, I'm not living life for the money anyway.

Although I could use the concept of travel as a way to motivate myself through the course, does it make more sense to get my crazy travel ideas out of the way now? I want to do other stuff like working on a cruise ship and skiing the Japanese mountains.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty torn about this situation (two great options, so not a bad position to be in!). Any input on this would be great.

Thanks heaps.

Cheers,
Tang
St. George

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: FUN Reply with quote

Hello Tang.

What you are saying, actually, is that you want to have some fun before you settle down.

You will still be young enough to do what you want, after you have had your fun. You can change your career, whenever you get bored.

In my day, one had to be in a career before the age of 30 but that's not the case nowadays.

Go ahead and have some fun travelling the world. When I was 21, I joined the Merchant Navy to see the world, including Australia, and I still ended up doing all the things I wanted to do.

Go for it!!!!

St. G.
StanD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tang,

I'm really curious if you took that chance... I hope you are skiing Japanese mountains right now haha

Look forward!

- Stan
mfcfan20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: NOW Reply with quote

Do it now while you can
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: