ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be careful in the Philippine Islands.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brezz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Be careful in the Philippine Islands. Reply with quote

A number of years ago I was traveling through Northern Samar Island Philippines staying with the family of a friend. On their coffee table was a small photo of a young german couple who had been traveling from the most northern part of the philippines to the south by bicycle.. They were advised by my friends family that it was dangerous to camp out alone and they were asked if they would like to camp on their property which was safe. They declined the offer and opted to camp in a coconut grove just about a kilometer down the road.
The young german couple then departed with their tent and backpacks to their campsite.
The next morning they were both found murdered with their documents, money, cameras, camping gear missing.
The man was bludgeoned on the head and the female was sexually mutilated before being killed.
Needless to say I was horrified and ask my friends if the police or anyone was called. They said the local cops were called from Caterman the capital but there was nothing they could do other than bury the bodies.
This was about 1998.
I doubt if their families ever knew what happened to them. They were in their late 20s or 30s. From Germany but I do not know the town.
I asked if the German Embassy was called in Manila. They shrugged and did not know. The only clue would be that last photo of them sitting on the table in that house.
They were both very experianced travelers in the philippines and felt they were safe because nothing had happened up until this point.
Upon returning home to the states I wrote a letter to the German Government explaining what I had discovered in Northern Samar, Visayas Philippines.
No reply back. End of story.
Becareful out there !
Cossette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Philippines and there is a certain city here, where English language learners established their own companies. I could say that we hospitably accommodate language learners and we have given them the privilege to build their own community.
The lesson learned here, is that this world is not safe to live in, may it be in the Philippines or any other country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Holy C*** I went for a weekend once and found them to be very friendly and kind in General. This sad event did happen a long time ago maybe it has changed?
bwiiian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As awful as that was, I don't understand why the point has been made on this forum. 10 years ago someone was murdered. How many people do you think have been murdered in the USA in the last 10 years? A hell of a lot more than that!!! I have been to the Philippines many times and it is a lovely country and the majority of people there are very friendly. It is a safer country than the USA, UK and most other western countries. Would anyone be advised not to travel to the USA or the UK? I doubt it. I don't understand this type of scaremongering.
sammy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have also been to the phil many times since i have a friend living there. all i can say is, it's a great country and people are friendly and good at heart. i think what happened many years ago is not a proof that the country is dangerous because such incident could happen to any other countries too.
teacherjonie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Filipinos are not like that. Reply with quote

I am a Filipino and it is saddening that when something happens to one/two Filipinos or in a part of the country, it becomes a generalization to the Filipinos or the whole Philippine Islands.
Philippines is composed of 7,107 islands; with a population now at more or less 100 million.
All countries experience accidents, calamities and all things we don't like or expect.
I would say Filipinos are generally kind, respectful, friendly and hospitable.
Tina87

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: wow :S Reply with quote

That story scares me...but you gotta be prepared todays world for sure. We are ,,civilized", but deep down we are still animals. Gotta buy chaos spray to protect yourself, or something, which you can travel with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: