ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University: Unprofessional Interview Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeatreides

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: University: Unprofessional Interview Experience Reply with quote

This post has been moderated UJ
University name removed

I had an interview last month to teach English at the university mentioned in the subject. First interview went fine and a panel of three in China advanced me to the second interview stage in America with the vice-chancellor. At this stage I was also told to apply to WES dot org to get my degrees authenticated at a cost of almost $200, which I promptly did. Three weeks went by without any indication of a second interview so I contacted a professor who did the first interview and she sent a reminder to the new vice-chancellor about the interview.

Soon afterwards I received an invitation for a second interview from the vice-chancellor's assistant. For some background: I'm currently a lecturer at a university in Asia and I have a Masters degree and more than ten years of university-level teaching experience and several published research articles related to EFL teaching and learning. However, I took two years off between 2016-2018 to take part in the ownership of a bar with some friends in south-east Asia.

As soon as the interview began, I was asked by the vice-chancellor why would I even think of putting that I owned a bar on my resume, and that she had been to bars there and knows what they're like. That put me off a bit but of course I maintained my composure and continued to answer all questions as normal although I could clearly see she had no desire to interview me at and had no consideration for my other qualifications and background. At the end she even encouraged me not to ask any questions as "this is not a test".

Another three weeks went by without any follow-up and so I again contacted the professor who took part in the first interview - and the vice-chancellor's assistant - to ask about what was happening. The VC's assistant didn't reply, but the first professor got back to me a couple of days later to say that the vice-chancellor had decided not to advance my candidacy. Does anyone else find this incredibly unprofessional by the university, and also the conduct very judgmental on my character by the vice-chancellor? All that time wasted, money spent, references sent, and everything collapsed just because I happened to once be part of a group who owned a bar.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Interview Reply with quote

Hello Leeatreides

Welcome to the forum.

However, names of persons and institutes are not allowed on the forum, when you are in dispute with them and therefore, they have been removed.

Nevertheless, I have sent you a PM with my thoughts on the matter and wish you the best of luck.

Cheers

Unionjack (Site Admin)
St. George

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leeatreides

Same old, same old. I was in the navy and was asked if I had ever been in a brothel and so I answered “yes of course I have”. Well, the abuse I received from these women who asked the question; you wouldn’t believe it! They shouldn’t have asked me the question, if they couldn’t accept the answer. In any case, I only visited for educational purposes and it’s not true what they say about sailors!

Anyway, I have had many interviews and often wondered why I didn’t get the job but in your case, you have the consolation of knowing why. Sorry, I know it’s not funny but if you haven’t got a sense of humour, you won’t last the course. Maybe, the Vice Chancellor didn’t want you corrupting the Chinese, haha. I’ve been in a few bars myself and had some very good times but I wouldn’t tell anyone unless they asked.

I haven’t been to China but I have heard some sad tales from teachers about China. Read about them on this forum before you go. My teaching experience has been mostly (15 years) in the Middle East and my advice to everyone is, don’t go there. Maybe I am too old now but I did have some good times, nonetheless.

Take care.

St. George.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: