ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East or West?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbubba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: East or West? Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I am just getting my feet wet here and am debating basically two things. Do I go for the higher paying jobs found in S. Korea or should I try for something in Western or Eastern Europe where the pay may be lower but my culture shock will be a bit easier? Is it easier to start my career in one place over the other? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

JBubba
wanderlust

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO I would consider going to Eastern Europe to start your adventures. I think you will find the culture shock easier to take and you'll be able to concentrate more on your teaching skills. Once you get a few years under your belt and if you then want to make the big money you might look towards Korea or Japan.

Good luck whatever you do and just have some fun!

Wanderlust
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: ESL Locales - Try Before You Buy! Reply with quote

Quote:
I would consider going to Eastern Europe to start your adventures

Jbubba,

I agree with Wanderlust's assessment. Go someplace you will feel more comfortable first to see if this occupation is really for you. Depending on your background, Central Europe might be the ideal place to get your feet wet, as you've put it.

Good luck to you wherever you end up!

Lee

http://www.esl-lesson-plan.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
Ambition TEFL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jbubba,

I'd also take in the cost of living as you might get a lot of money in the far East but it costs a lot to live there!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about the culture shock as its negatives will effect you wherever you are. Go for a place that really interests/stimulates you and this will outweigh the "down" times.

I hope this helps

Ambition TEFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: