ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How often do you use computers in your lessons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Recommended ESL Technology...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often did you use computers in your lessons in the last year?
once or twice
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
approximately once every two or three months
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
approximately once or twice a month
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
approximately once or twice a week
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
more than once a day
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

crueckert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: How often do you use computers in your lessons? Reply with quote

Hello Readers,

While there are plenty of classrooms that are now equipped with computers in the classroom, I wonder how often teachers actually take advantage of this technology. Examples of using computers in the classroom might be using power point to present your lesson, taking students to the computer lab to work through online exercises, or having students give presentations using the computer. Feel free to drop a line to explain your answer below.
crueckert@eslemployment.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last few years, I've been making greater and greater use of computers and specifically, the Internet both in our TEFL course and in regular EFL classes. The net is of course an invaluable tool for research.

Lately, I've been bringing live components into the TEFL program, such as video (You Tube, Google video), and messaging . I can only see this trend growing and growing as new tech comes online.

Powerpoint is a pain in the behind...too much prep time with too little value added to a class, IMHO. Very Happy
gharwell1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your survey you forgot to take into account how long a class lasts. In one group we constantly used the computer six hours a day for three months. All the students had lap tops and we connected wirelessly. Lots of of Webhead and eb 2.0 stuff.

However, on another class, I avoided it at all costs as the students would only visit Arabic chat rooms and the computers in the lab generally didn't work to satisfaction.
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: The Powerpoint Prez - Yesterday's Technology? Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
...Powerpoint is a pain in the behind...too much prep time with too little value added to a class...

Guy, I am slowly coming to this realization too. It seemed helpful for awhile, but I think I get much more done without it. Like you said, it can be time-intensive to create...time better spent improving lesson planning in other ways.

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Powerpoint Reply with quote

Hello Each

I think PowerPoint is great for lectures (presentations) but not for lessons and I think computers can be more of a distraction, in class, than an aid.

You have to be careful not to hand (classroom) control over to the computer.

UJ
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerpoint Reply with quote

unionjack wrote:
I think PowerPoint is great for lectures (presentations)...

Yes, I still find it helpful to give .ppt presentations of certain subjects to, say, a group of colleagues who may appreciate the kind of information a speaker is trying to "cram" into a conference panel talk, for example.

For language students, however, it's just one more barrier between them and you, the teacher. I can't locate the "interactive" part of the powerpoint presentation as it is normally used. I found this out the hard way after trying to give this technology a serious go. It seems better for introductory classes, especially, to remain as "hands-on" as possible, at least, in my recent experience.

Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Guy's blog Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
...Now Bloggin'

Hey Guy, what happened to your blog? Looks like everything is gone!

dickie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: I was about to ask the same Reply with quote

Hey Guy, I just picked up on this great thread after logging into eslemployment.com and noticed the same, I tried to check out your great blog - It's gone! Didn't you have it going before? Last year I read a good post on there with you chilling out in a cafe, you had the picture up there and all, inspired me to take more of my classes off site to cafes and actually do less teaching - my boss wasn't too happy about that, but who cares about him? I get do do less work and the students love it - although a few do actually go home and not come to the cafe when I leave my school's premises to walk a few blocks down the street to the cafe itself.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Guy's blog Reply with quote

Lee Hobbs wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:
...Now Bloggin'

Hey Guy, what happened to your blog? Looks like everything is gone!

The website went down in March and they lost everything!!! I've just started to piece it together again, hoping to recover all I'd written. Soon, very soon.

In the meantime, I've been writing a bit elsewhere...

http://blogs.bootsnall.com/Guy+Courchesne/

Quote:
chilling out in a cafe

I think that was a picture of me in Montreal on vacation... Laughing but I have been known to hold court in Mexico City eateries, bars, and cafes. Wink
sammy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think computers will be a big help for students as well as for teachers. since the technology now depending mostly on computers, they should be used to it at an early stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Recommended ESL Technology... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: