ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

working conditions/pay in poland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Baltic States, C. & E. Europe...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greystroke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: working conditions/pay in poland Reply with quote

Hi.
I have just done my celta and i have applied to a few schools in poland.What sort of pay should i be looking at? What are the things that should be set out in the contract? Also, some schools want originals of my certificates for issuing a work visa- I wonder why? Has anyone heard of the "CORRECT school in lodz?
I would be grateful for any info- i certainly dont wish to travel half way across the world to discover the place is a dump.

Thanks

greystroke
carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I spent a bit of time in Poland last year and it is a beautiful country. Kracov - probably misspelt but I mean the ancient capital - is fab. It has great cellar bars with very friendly people and its close to the tatra mountains if you like walking, if you don't they have cable cars etc.

4000 local currency is good enough to have a great time - most poles earn considerably less.

I have also been looking at working there

Good luck.

Valerie
rfoster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been teaching in Poland since Sept 2004. I work in a smaller city, where I earn 30 PLN/45 minutes. I do not have to pay taxes, as I pay them in the States. I also do not have to pay any rent. You should expect to be paid between 30 - 50 PLN per hour; it will depend on if you have to pay for accomodation, taxes, and insurance. In Krakow I was earning 33/hr, but had to pay about 900 PLN for rent.

You will need to get the visa from your home country.

Note: Why don't you capitalize your I's and Poland, etc? You're a teacher. Shoudn't you be using correct punctuation and capitalization?
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to rfoster Reply with quote

NOTE: Be careful when suggesting that others correct their English. You're a teacher, why don't you spell 'accommodation' and 'shouldn't' correctly?
carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any schools in Poland that have any teaching vacancies? or if there are any better websites than this. I have applied to posts on this website but haven't got anywhere yet.

I am looking for my first teaching job and have to give one months notice to my present employer - which is making it a bit difficult. I was thinking of biting the bullet, giving in my notice and moving to Poland where I could then look for jobs. What do people think - is this a bad idea?

Any suggestions would be very welcome

Best wishes

Valerie
monika

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I am a part of big chain of English schools in Poland.
I have three schools in north poland.
we are searching for native speakers.
if you are interested please write to me
my e-mail: iee@neostrada.pl
sophieczka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: another reply to rforster Reply with quote

Correcting a person's speech and writing is a very loaded thing to do. The English language, imbued with all of the complexities and experiences of it's many speakers around the world, shouldn't be understood--or taught-- in a manner that disregards the influence of dialect, culture, or a particular setting.

It is quite common for a person to let go of many punctuation and writing rules when communicating via email or any other online forum. You must take into context the environment and conditions of the speaker/writer. There was nothing really wrong with the uncapitalized i's and poland's-- dropping capital letters has become an appropriate choice for online messages.

Speaking and writing are themselves loaded things to do. There is a lot that goes into the way that a person speaks or writes, and unfortunately, one simplistic, hierarchical version of the English language and its rules and regulations will not suffice in honoring the conditions and experiences that affect a persons language.

There is nothing wrong with correcting a person's language, once you have examined where that person is coming from, and what conditions are affecting their stylistic decisions.
________
starcraft 2 replays
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Baltic States, C. & E. Europe... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: