ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to teach English in China...need suggestions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franco3588

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Looking to teach English in China...need suggestions. Reply with quote

I am moving to China end of May and I am needing some help, suggestions, advice... and most of all I NEED PLACES TO APPLY TO AND TO SEND RESUMES TO. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. You can also email me at franco3588@yahoo.com. Thank you all.........Frank
liu_wan_shan

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Hope This Helps... Reply with quote

Hi!

This may come too late to help you or may not be helpful at all, but just in case...

China's a big big place. What city are you moving to? If you're moving into cities like Beijing or Shanghai, believe me...you won't have a problem in finding a place to work because English schools are all over these two cities. Just post your resume in the Internet and they'll look for you! There are also lots of schools in the other provinces, but scattered in location. I suggest you look in sites like Dave's ESL Cafe, ESLemployment.com, ESLTeachersBoard.com for specific school names and [b]check their reputations as well[/b]. Not all schools treat you well. Prospective employers also look in Chinese websites like JobsDB.com, ChinaHR.com.

Good luck!
Gerard Denaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Advice on Teaching in China Reply with quote

Hi liu wan shan
Finding a teaching ESL job in China will depend on 2 factors: whether u are Chinese as your name suggests and whether money is a problem . I tried to find a job in China for an Aussie colleague who happened to also be from HK. But was promptly told by the school PR officer that Asian looks werent acceptible. Generally, wages are around A$150-200 per week so u may like to try the Middle East, South America or Eastern Europe. Japan, HK or Korea pay a lot more too.

I could recommend a private school in Guangdong to any prospective teachers. I'm not sure if they still have vacancies for Sept but for all the info people will need to teach at CAS (Canadian American school) Zhaoqing, read John's diary (foreign english co-ordinator) and FAQ's at http://www.china8.org/ You can also contact Doris Li at CAS : dorisli288@163.com . We have a number of pictures of Zhaoqing on the net at http://community.webshots.com/user/denaro49. There are numerous positions in ESL but u must do a lot of background research, like speak with a foreign teacher at the school, find out where the school is with respect to the city centre. I also prefer 2 know how far away the local buses, supermarkets and restaurants are. No sense being stuck in a factory area with lots of pollution is there?
good luck
Gerard Denaro
Cagatey01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: sultan Reply with quote

From what I hear, it is common practice in China to ask for all of the documents you mentioned. The issue of sending a copy of a passport is a sticky one. One workaround for this if the question of identity theft is a concern, is to blank out the passport number when sending a copy.
CFTU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, about the passport scan issue... Only your direct employer needs a copy of your passport, and only after they send you a written job offer. Considering that 20% of all self-proclaimed recruiters are actually identity thieves you would be absolutely insane to send even your resume to any stranger without knowing who your are dealing with.

So BEFORE you send or upload your resume or any other documents to anyone related to China jobs, visit and read three web sites that will make you totally scam-proof in China:

http://ChinaScamWatch.org

http://www.ChinaScamBusters.com

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=642187

These sites will teach you how to deal with recruiters and how to check them out in one hour or less so you can feel safe (or otherwise) in send them your resume.

Definitely do not accept any position that does not let you arrive in China with a Z visa already in your passport. Concerning contracts, you may want to take a look at this here: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=109482

Good luck to you and if you get in a jam, drop us an email at help@chinaforeignteachersunion.org
The CFTU is China's first and only private labor union representing the 25,000+ foreign teachers now working in China. Visit our website at www.ChinaForeignTeachersUnion.org for details and join our cause if you agree with it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: