ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6 questions about the UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwhits125

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: 6 questions about the UAE Reply with quote

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are currently living and working in Korea and are looking for a new challenge for the early part of next year. We are looking at other countries to work in and at the moment the UAE/Dubai is top of the list. Were currently doing research on Dubai and the UAE in general but would really appreciate some advice from people actually living and working there already. We have 6 main questions really. If you can even answer one or point us in the direction of some good websites then that would be great.

1. Money Unfortunately, due to loan repayments and the like this is still pretty high on the requirements list. My girlfriend needs to be able to save around $700-$800 each a month whilst i need around $500 a month. My girlfriend has a degree in linguistics, is tefl certified and has 3 years teaching experience. I have a masters degree ( in medical law, for what its worth Sad ) and 2 years teaching experience. Is this going to be possible? Would it be worth me getting an online TEFL cert? Also, is there the possibility of private lessons? In korea its a real pain the arse to get privates. Is this also the case in Dubai? Wed be able to save a lot of what we earn as we dont really lead crazy lives, just enough to join a good gym and eat out maybe once a week.

2 What are the job opportunities like outside of teaching. We both enjoy what we do but equally we dont see it as a long term career. Are there a lot of opportunities, once in dubai and should we like it, to move in to other industries? I may be restricted as I only speak English but my girlfriend is able to speak English, French and Spanish.

3 Im aware that the UAE is considered to be the more liberal of Islamic states. My girlfriend and I will want to live together. Would this be a problem or frowned upon by employers as we are not married? And as a side note what is the general level of accommodation for teachers? We currently live together in a 5mx5m cell, please tell me its bigger then that Smile

4 the UAE has a zero tolerance on drugs, which is fine by me, but does that extend to prescription medication and pharmaceuticals? I have a stomach medicine that I take from time to time that is morphine based? Am I likely to be locked up for brining this into the country?

5 transport. From what I have found out taxis and buses seem to be the main way of getting around. However, I tend to get a bit travel sick from these and much prefer to cycle anywhere I can. What are the facilities like for cyclists? Are there bike routes around the city? Is it safe to cycle around? Or is it just to hot!?!

That leads me into my final ask. How do people cope with the heat in Dubai? Is it really restrictive to what you can do or is it just a case of getting used to it? Are you still expected to wear shirt/tie etc. to work?

Thats all of them As I said above even if you could answer one question then that would be fantastic. Smile

Many thanks in advance
emerald

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: 6 questions about the UAE Reply with quote

dwhits125 wrote:

If you can even answer one or point us in the direction of some good websites then that would be great.

1. Money

3 Im aware that the UAE is considered to be the more liberal of Islamic states. My girlfriend and I will want to live together. Would this be a problem or frowned upon by employers as we are not married? And as a side note what is the general level of accommodation for teachers? We currently live together in a 5mx5m cell, please tell me its bigger then that Smile

That leads me into my final ask. How do people cope with the heat in Dubai? Is it really restrictive to what you can do or is it just a case of getting used to it? Are you still expected to wear shirt/tie etc. to work?

Thats all of them As I said above even if you could answer one question then that would be fantastic. Smile

You should look on dave's cafe this is a good place to get all the answers you need

Money is fantasic here, if you are from the west

Acomodation is excellent, but you will need to be married to live together

The heat is not that bad, it's the humidity that gets ya, it's 115 and 95 % humidity at the moment. You get used to it and everything has ac, yes ppl wesr shirts and ties to work.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: