ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E. Bo-Young Talking Club Pyeongtaek?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phiorangeroses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: E. Bo-Young Talking Club Pyeongtaek? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I am an American looking to teach English in South Korea. I've teamed up with a legit agency to place me and they came back extremely quickly with a job at the E. Bo-Young School in Pyeongtaek which is a Talking Club school?

Does anyone know anything about this school? Has anyone ever taught there? Before I sign a year contract, I want to make sure I'm going to the right place. I've read both horror stories and fantastic stories about ESL teacher's experiences with E. Bo-Young, but nothing on this particular branch in Pyeongtaek.

Can anyone help?

THANK YOU
karrab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: e Bo Young Pyeongtaek Reply with quote

Hey,
I am at e Bo Young Pyeongtaek Segeo...I think there is another one in town though, but it might be ours that you speak of...because we urgently need a new teacher.

I have been here for almost a year now and I think it is pretty sweet, the normal Hagwon experience, but our director is really nice and helpful.

Contact me if you need more info; I am happy to help. karien.rabie [at] gmail . com

Tarra
lingthegreat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: SCHOOL NAME REMOVED Pyeongtaek, S. Korea...Exploiting Reply with quote

This post has been moderated UJ

The aggressive advances from my director NAME REMOVED and constant threats made it an impossible work situation at SCHOOL NAME REMOVED in Pyeongtaek, S. Korea. It first came to my attention by an Australian-Korean teacher who recently quit the academy that this branch had been having trouble losing students to a nearby academy. It is my heartfelt belief that I was doing the best of my ability as a teacher, given the circumstances, but had been treated unfairly and as a result of NAME REMOVED inability to keep students at his school, or for some financial reason that is beyond my control or capacity as a teacher, I was being systematically threatened to be fired, in an effort to claim damages. Below are the events, as I see them, of the injustices director NAME REMOVED did towards me which also effected my wife who was my dependent. 1. The director falsely accused me of playing movies for the children when there were no TVs in the building. He contacted (Recruiter) VOU agency and told them this lie. 2. The director violently yelled, balled his fist, and put me in a situation where he showed violent aggression. 3. After I was in a motorcycle accident, I suffered substantial injuries, which left me with cuts and a stint. 250,000 won was spent on the bike repair. Over 200,000 won was spent on medical X rays, ambulance, and medicines. Two X rays on different days were necessary to see if my foot was broken. 4. The director advised me to walk into his office the day after my accident, when I was not having the capability to do so, and after intense pain, I went home. The next day I was asked to sign a form in which stated that the school was not responsible if any further injuries resulted from my teaching with a hurt foot. I was subsequently charged 127,000 won for the sick day, threatened for my job, as well as other malicious talk. 5. I was charged for my health test cost and cost of resident card at 50,000 won, my wife's plane ticket for 2 installments (Which was more than the actual cost of the plane ticket) of 615,000 won, food for 60,000 won a month, and an internet contract for 20,000 won. He allowed other damages such as a double bed to be charged if need be during vague conversation. 6. Mr. Park allowed me to sit in class with my cast, however charged me for the sick day 127,000 won and threatened my job security, saying I was lazy by sitting, and that the students were bored. This is not my impression. Actually the students responded better because I was closer to them. 7. Later tensions increased; I missed a convention in which I was food poisoned, I spent the night previous vomiting and sick on the floor of the bathroom until about 7AM on the Saturday of the convention. At that point I was unconscious until 11:30AM when the director spent five minutes banging on the door of my apartment. My wife was hurrying to get on my cast that I had taken off the previous night, and the director left after yelling, "I am very angry, you make me very angry" The next day he gave me a written reprimand after I passed out in one of his classes due to lack of ability to eat anything due to stomach problems and being sick. He told me I was sleeping in class. He told me if I did not sign a form, that he would fire me. The form was a legal document that was vague and allowed him to charge any fees that he wished. 8. He had on several occasions yelled, screamed, and threatened me putting me in fear of my job and my security for both my wife and me. 9. His threats, as well as his charges on my unfortunate occurrences put me in shock, his lack of compassion and care for my sick needs given the unfortunate accidents that had occurred, the lack of trust between us, my food poisoning, had made it impossible for me to teach given the present environment. 10. The added pressure of being held late at night at the school and yelled at for minute things caused me distress, making it difficult for me to sleep. 11. He was fully aware that I had anxiety and did everything to aggravate it: threats, accusations, reprimands, calling different agencies such as the BOARD OF LABOR and then telling me about it, etc...HE HAD ME BLACKLISTED BEFORE I WAS FIRED TO PREVENT ME FROM GOING TO A BETTER SCHOOL. 12. He told the other teachers during the beginning of the contract not to talk with me outside of the workplace, making it difficult for me to get basic information, to make friends with my colleagues. He claims I had no good relations with the other teachers, however he did not allow me the ability to even relate with them. 13. HE THREW MY LESSON PLAN, cursing in Korean, and further threatened me. He agreed that I should work for free, and be charged for a double bed, and for my misconduct with his school. 14. He claimed that he had been getting complaints that I was too strict and also complaining that I was too nice, not giving enough tests, using enough flash cards, etc...Some arguments he made about my abilities as a teacher were just plain contradictory. 15. VOU agency had reported that I have been playing movies, smoking around kids, being too strict, that I left the class to go on a walk, that I didn't clean the air conditioner filters or mopped, and these were all lies. More Problems...After sending me a text message notifying to GET OUT OF HIS APARTMENT and that I was FIRED, he notified the police that I was missing. (I was in Seoul applying for a visa to get out of there!) When I was leaving the country at Incheon, I was detained by the police and told that I was to wait a day and check in at the main police headquarters, thus missing my flight. (A very expensive flight.) However, since I had NAME REMOVED text message, I was able to show the police I was, in fact, not missing, so they voided my Visa and let me go after forty minutes of indecision and interrogation. I almost missed my flight. It is because of NAME REMOVED lies, lack of compassion for my individual needs, his threats, his acts of violence, and his constant disregard for my mental or physical health that has made it impossible for me to do my job. I was under the suspicion that because of financial reasons, he is wanting to charge me moneys, in order to satisfy his own financial crisis, and to save face in a community where he is losing students. Furthermore, he has told me I have been smoking in front of students, which is a lie. It is my strong belief that other Americans must know about this man's action and atrocities and that they be forewarned about this school before any atrocity befalls some other helpless American. So, I had to leave the country regardless of whether I wanted to stay and work. The school was losing money and needed me to pay for the director's mistakes as a director to keep students at school. If I had stayed I would have faced a month of unpaid labor just to pay off a contract I was forced out of. Beware of this school. Stay far away. If I were to do things differently I would have done more research, and gotten a school in Seoul, where more schools understand foreigners, and where more help is readily available.

Please contact the poster for further details
LordRelentless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this the E. Bo talking club?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: