ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article on non-native speakers teaching in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pikoko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Article on non-native speakers teaching in Korea Reply with quote

I found these 2 articles online regarding non-native speakers being able to teach in Korea. So far, I have read online that non-native speakers are being offered teacher-aides jobs on another type of visa in Korea.

Is it true that there maybe a chance for non-native speakers such as those from Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines being able to teach in Korea?

I have a 4 years bachelor degree from Australia as well as a TESOL certificate from London Teacher Training College, what are my chances of finding a job as an English teacher in Korea? Would I stand a bigger chance if I were physically in Korea?

Please advise as I really need some opinions from everyone here.

Below are the 2 articles I mentioned earlier.
http://trendsniff.com/2009/01/08/koreas-new-visa-law-angers-foreign-english-teachers/
http://trendsniff.com/2008/12/28/job-opportunities-non-native-english-speakers-can-teach-in-korea/

Pikoko
Specter73

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: re: non-native in Korea Reply with quote

Hello pikoko, I am afraid it will be hard for you to get a job here in Korea yet as a "non-native speaker." To become a teacher at a private language school or university, you need a E-2 visa which requires native speaker status. There is the Epik program to place teachers as assistants in public schools throughout Korea but this program requires either a E-2 visa or a F-4 visa or E-1 visa. An E-1 visa is for those who were a professor in their own country and are coming here to teach. F-4 is for Koreans who have nationality in an English speaking country. I do know of filipinos teaching English here, but they are married to a Korean and have some kind of F visa, not sure if it is F-4 or F-2. My partner is from the Philippines and just started work as a teaching assistant at a summer camp. He has a student visa for studying here. He had trouble getting approval at the immigration office because they thought he was trying to teach English at the camp since it is an international English Camp done by a major university here. He had to stress he was only a teaching assistant to a "native" teacher and not in charge of English classes to get approval. Of course, the camp hired him because he is fluent in English. It is hypocritcal. One other note, I did see an article a few months ago about a letter of understanding being signed between Korea and India to allow Indians to teach English here. As it stands, you will not qualify for a E-2 visa and I do not know of another visa you can obtain to teach English here unless you are married to a Korean and have a permanent residency visa in the F category. You can search the Epik program on the internet and read about it. Best of luck.
cheers,
John
Bart1982

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Non native speaker Reply with quote

Repeated post deleted UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: