ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movies and ESL Teaching: Like Popcorn & Soda?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Recommended ESL Technology...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are Films a Helpful ESL Tool or a Hindrance?
Helpful
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Hindrance
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Can be Both
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Neither
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Movies and ESL Teaching: Like Popcorn & Soda? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Have any of you seen the entry on ESL-Lesson-Plan about using movies in the ESL classroom? Like many of you, I've used this methodology before in my own classes, but Marlen has some novel approaches with the use of transcripts and movie trailers that I think might be especially beneficial.

Check it out in full HERE.

He also set up a poll of his own here on the forum about film usage. Check it out HERE.

I found some really cool links to some ESL lesson plans that use video and film as part of the curriculum. Here's a few:

International TESL Journal wrote:
Video

Ideas on Using Videos
Is the Movie the Same as the Book?
Teacher's Notes
Vocabulary List
Comprehension Questions

ESL/EFL Lessons Using Movies

Checking into a Hotel in a Video-based Lesson
Politeness in Movies
Listening to Airplane Announcements in Movies
Narrating in Simple Past with Video
Jigsaw Reading Activity Using TV Listings
Quiz about the Movie "The Graduate"
Video in the Language Lab: Teaching Vocabulary
Developing an ESP Course Around Naturally-occurring Videotaped Medical Consultations
Watching Movie Trailers in the ESL Class
Activities for the ESL Classroom Incorporating Reality-based TV
The Simpsons in Japan: A Lesson on Stereotypes

I really like the one about being "polite" while at the cinema. Good conversation stuff.

Check out the entire site where I found these links posted HERE at the International TESL Journal.

Happy screening,

Lee
http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted that they could go both ways. I think they re not a useful tool in the hands of the teacher who says 'ok, movie day! Watch this while I grade papers.' In a practical way, I think it time-consuming to isolate clips for use in a class, or with too-scattered content and context to work with the whole film, or simply impossible to use the whole flick in what are 45-90 minute classes.

You Tube, however, offers an interesting new tool. Short clips, easily located by topic, and easily controlled for content.
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Using YouTube as a Class Resource Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
You Tube, however, offers an interesting new tool. Short clips, easily located by topic, and easily controlled for content.

Guy,

I agree, I've found that to be helpful too and have used clips from YouTube on occasion in class (as have my students, in presentations, etc.) Google video works similarly as a resource.

Lee

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
ProfessorYasin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Learning through Movies is Effective Reply with quote

Hi all ESL learners,

Learning English through Movies or any favorite subject is an excellent way of learning. This process is called Theme Based Learning. Learning a language is a cognitive activity & hence you need to shift your focus from English to something really interesting.

But the effectiveness of teaching depends upon the teacher. As teacher is a Human, they cannot be so versatile. The learning may be slower & limited.

According to educational psychologist the only way to learn a language is through a subject we are passionate about. Hence Movies or Politics or Science can be a good way by which you can learn English efficiently. Reading news in favorite columns is a good way too.

One of a kind program that will teach you through Theme Based Learning & Content Based Instruction method is 'Espoir Smart English through Movies' / Cricket, Management Ideas, Love & Romance, etc.

This software has exclusive content on one topic & is interesting too. So we develop English faster & in an easier way.

If you Love English, English will Love you back. & Love is never forced, it should happen.

All the Best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Recommended ESL Technology... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: