ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pirax/Momentum Institute, Indonesia (DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
euro87

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Pirax/Momentum Institute, Indonesia (DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!!) Reply with quote

My partner and I had the terrible misfortune of working for Pirax/Mometum Institute based in Surabaya, East Java as full time EFL Teachers for eight months from November 2011 to June 2012.
We were amazed and disgusted at how disorganised, deluded, chaotic and unprofessional the owners/managers and company are (Irawati and Daniel). They made our lives (social and work) very hard and testing as they do not have a clue how to run an educational company.
Teachers are expected to work illegally without a KITAS. It was promised but never received, causing problems with the local police and immigration. They withheld our passports, lied and deceived us in many ways, always sure to thrust the blame on others and away from themselves.
They neither focus nor have any form of curriculum that they supply to their students, schools or teachers and are essentially cowboys.
The accommodation supplied was dirty and small and rent was rarely paid, meaning we regularly had visits from the landlord threatening eviction. Salary was rarely/if ever paid on time and until this day we have not been paid our ĎEnd of Contract Bonusí + Salary for the last month, along with the other 7 foreign teachers. It seems that there was never any intention of paying us our promised end of contract bonus, this was merely a way to keep us until the end of our contract.
All they care about is money and they certainly take everything they can, even going as far as asking for personal loans off of teachers, which were not repaid. They rip off the schools and ultimately the teachers who work for them. Even to this day (August 6th 2012)myself and my partner have not been paid.
There are many reputable companies within East Java (Kelt and English First) that may offer slightly lower wages but at least actually pay you and supply you with clean accommodation as well as structure, professionalism and legal documentation. Please, just do not risk it with this company, we did and we truly wish we hadnít.
I can spend all day giving reasons not to work for this company however I have spent too much time already on these idiots. This is a nightmare of a company, and I am glad to be free of them. One positive thing I can take from this experience is to be much more thorough when looking for future jobs abroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . . All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: