ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will my age be an issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carolea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Will my age be an issue? Reply with quote

Hi!
I submitted an application to Korvia last week. Emails received saying someone would contact me for an interview. No word yet. I am 61 ( a very young 61 I might add Very Happy !) I have lived in Korea some years ago and have my BA with some teaching experience. Just wondering if my age will be an issue.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: AGE Reply with quote

Hello Carolea

Welcome to the forum

Here's what one person has to say about age and South Korea

UJ

Quote:
South Korea
I am age 56. I currently teach English conversation in a public high school in Korea. I have heard that retirement is mandatory at age 60. It is assumed that the children will take care of the parents at that age. The reason I came to Korea was that I could not get a teaching job in the San Francisco Bay Area. It was only after being turned down many times and forced to substitute teach that I found out few teachers in Bay Area public schools are over 40. I was told that older teachers with lots of experience have been forced out and Oakland School District has been sued for age discrimination This is not limited to SF. My uncle is a retired principal in IL and he said not to try IL. They don't hire older people.

Official retirement age for public schools is 60. Private schools may allow you to work longer. My school has mandatory retirement at age 62 After school academies can keep you as long as they choose, I've met some foreigners in their 70s. But in this case the pay is low and you only get one or two weeks vacation per year.

In Korea, the official retirement age for university instructors, foreign and domestic is 65. If you'll be 65 during the contracted semester, you will be allowed to finish that semester only (even if on an annual contract) under normal circumstances. The reality, though, is that once you hit fifty, it gets tighter; fifty-five, tight; sixty, much more difficult. On the other hand, I got a special contract (excluding pension, but with monthly retirement payments) for over sixty-five. Such contracts are rare for Koreans and I know of no other foreigner who has gotten one. I think they only occur with already-employed instructors.
Carolea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your very kind reply. It's the first time I've ever felt my age was a factor in anything because I don't even think about it and I've been self employed for the last 10 years. Will continue to stay positive. Congratulations on your job assignment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: