ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I mad to still want to teach in Spain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naomi Abrahams

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Am I mad to still want to teach in Spain Reply with quote

I haven't been actively looking for teaching jobs in Spain in recent months as I have reached the age of 60 and have heard nothing but negative things about Spain these days. I have only a little experience, no degree and, if it matters, am a woman of mixed race.
I got excellent advice on this forum a year or two ago, but I couldn't afford to move at the time. Is it too late? Am I pushing my luck at this stage? When I was applying for jobs, I found that the academies wanted people who were already living in Spain. I don't think I would get residency now with the stricter entry requirements even though I'm an EU citizen. From what I hear, I would need proof of income and can't get that without already having a job. The expat forums show that things aren't great but I just thought I'd ask anyway.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Eu Citizen Reply with quote

Naomi

There does not seem to be any restrictions, for entering Spain, as an Eu citizen.

http://www.strongabogados.com/docs/article-EU-citizens-in-spain.pdf

Why not go as a tourist and spend your time visiting all the ESL schools listed in the School Finder guide. You could be lucky. When you get a position, just continue living in Spain.

After 3 months you need to register as a foreigner

In the meantime, do some online teaching and this will keep you solvent. Try

http://recruit.tutorabc.com/program/index.asp

Not well paid but seems a good company by all accounts.

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=550&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

UJ
Naomi Abrahams

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, UJ. I'll try the online teaching site and see where that takes me. I'm afraid the school finder was wiped off my laptop when I had a new programme installed. Still, I'm sure I can get a list of some schools as I found some before.
I was concerned as I heard that the Spanish government was checking that those moving to Spain had a good income but as you say, going as a tourist could be the answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: