ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New York, New York and other topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aekraul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: New York, New York and other topics Reply with quote

Question I have been told that, if one has a masters degree, that it is pretty easy to get a job teaching ESL. I would love to go to New York and live for a little while and teach english to cover some bills. Does anyone have any advice? I met one gal who said not to even bother getting certified because most schools want to train you their way. Is this true? I have taught before - I taught while I was in graduate school, and I loved it. I just got back from traveling in Mexico and Central America, taking Spanish along the way. Does any of this background help?

Thanks!
alinguist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A master's degree in linguistics, applied linguistics or a M.ed. in second language acquistion are the main degree types that will get you a good job teaching ESL in north America. If you don't have any of these degrees but you have a bachelor's with a TESL certificate, you can teach in private language schools or for the government language programs. North American ESL teachers usually have to be certified by a professional association to be able to teach. This just ensures that you have met all the standards they adhere to.

Good luck! If you have any more questions be free to ask!
CizinkaNaZemi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Researching Linguistics/Applied Linguistics programs Reply with quote

From an aspiring linguist to "alinguist":
I'm returning to the States after nearly four years of TEFL in Central Europe and would like to start an M.A. in the fall. The application dates are fast approaching and I already have my eye on a school in Atlanta, but do you have any advice about the best programs in North America for ESL teaching that also provide a strong theoretical background in linguistics?
I'm fluent in Czech (enough for written translation, but not simultaneous interpreting), on the way in Serbian and French, and see the need for Spanish, so I'd like to have the option of studying languages as well as linguistics.
By now I can lay out the English system of reported speech or explain unreal conditionals or improve a struggling student's perfect tenses (all major problems for Slavic speakers) in a flash, but as yet I have little knowledge of the academic community for Applied Linguistics or my viability as a master's program applicant. (An addendum on whether an American can and should look to Canada would be great, too.)
Many thanks in advance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . . All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: