ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to take my family with me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darnheather

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Want to take my family with me. Reply with quote

I worked teaching English in Turkey from 1999-2002. I have since obtained my master's in applied linguistics with a concentration in teaching English as a second language. I'm ready to work abroad again but need to take my children with me. They are used to living overseas (Korea and Germany).

Do these jobs exist or is it all for young singles?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Single parent with children Reply with quote

Hello Darnheather

Welcome to the forum

There will be a teaching job for a single parent with children; you just have to find it. There are so many scenarios and so, it is difficult to foresee all the options, therefore you will probably have to make a compromises along the way.

The contract offered is likely to be single but accompanied, which means, they will pay for your flights and visas etc but you will have to pay for your children. Anything more will be a bonus.

I wouldn't mention the children until you are offered the job and then you will know why you were turned down. If the children could go to the same school as yourself that would solve a big problem. I remember a single Slovakian mother whose 12 year old child could speak some English but ended up in an Indian school because that was all there was available and I don't know if they taught in English, Hindustani or Urdu. It would be useful if there were others in the same situation as yourself and you could help each other. A maid (helper) would also be useful to see to the children when you weren't there. You really need someone on the inside. Unfortunately, I am out of touch with the expat community but my experience was in the Arab world and I wouldn't recommend that because you and your children would be continually pestered by Arab men.

Hopefully the forum readership may be able to help you. Alternatively, you can always try Korea or Germany again.

Best of luck

UJ
Giv9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly. A qualified teacher with prior abroad teaching experience can find good jobs. Mostly teachers are sought after in Asian countries (not the subcontinent countries like India or Sri Lanka).

But a British national doesn't have to look beyond the European countries.
StanD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giv9 wrote:
Certainly. A qualified teacher with prior abroad teaching experience can find good jobs. Mostly teachers are sought after in Asian countries (not the subcontinent countries like India or Sri Lanka).

But a British national doesn't have to look beyond the European countries.

Seconded. You won't find many such jobs but they are certainly there. It might take up to a year or two to find it, though. Wish you all good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: